Date:      Sat, 19 Apr 1997 15:30:31 -0300 (ADT)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        mike allison <mallison@konnections.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, chat@freebsd.org, Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
Subject:   Re: Commercial, Non-Hacker CD Distribution - A thought

On Sun, 20 Apr 1997, mike allison wrote:

> The other issue here is the complicating factor.  The reason I don't use
> Star is the requirement for Motif at some level.  Motif ain't free
> neither, last time I checked......Or, does it just need some Libs that
> are freely available....?

	Statically compiled...unless its just that I have lesstif installed
that its working, but I believe I read that StarOffice for Linux is compiled
statically so that the requirement for Motif libraries no longer exists...

	Motif libraries...another product for a commercial distribution
CD? :)

> I am not motivated for Star, per se, I like Applix and I think RedHat

	My motivation towards Star is that its probably about the best
software that I've seen so far, for Unix, that compares with things like
MS Office...again, if we could motivate developers, we might some day even
see competition for Star on the Unix/FreeBSD platform *shrug*

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org