Date:      Mon, 04 Mar 1996 21:56:12
From:      Raj Chetty <RChetty@gnn.com>
To:        j@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Install FreeBSD

>Date:	2 Mar 1996 19:57:41 GMT
>From:	j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
>Newsgroups:	comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
>Subject:	Re: Install FreeBSD
>
>RChetty@gnn.com (Raj Chetty) writes:
>> I have a IBM Aptiva with 8meg memory. The hard disk is an EIDE set up us
>> master and connected to local bus. It is partitioned as follows using
> FDISK
>> that came with OS/2 Warp.
>>
>> 	primary partition --------------Boot Manager------------Startable
>> 	primary partition ----drive c---pc-dos/win 3.1---FAT----bootable
>> 	Extended partitions---drive d---data files-------FAT----
>> 			      ---drive e---min OS/2---------HPFS---bootable
>> 			      ---drive f---OS/2 Warp etc----HPFS---bootable.
>>
>> My questions are:
>>
>> 1. Is it possible to install(Novice) FreeBSD on drive 'e' after deleting
> min
>>    OS/2? This partition is 48MBytes in size.
>
>48 MB is rather tight.  It won't leave you much swap, and i'm not even
>sure whether the minimal installation would fit.
>
>I might be mistaken (i don't use any fdisk partitions at all), but i
>believe you gotta install FreeBSD into a primary fdisk partition.
>However, you've still got the fourth slot in your fdisk table
>available, so after freeing up the space of your `min OS/2', you
>should be able to fit it there.  (Actually, the installation program
>will offer you this.)
>
>(Don't get confused, we are calling the fdisk units ``slices'', since
>the Unices have partitions of their own inside the slice..)
>
>--
>cheers, J"org
>
>joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/ -- NIC: JW11-RI
>PE
>Never trust an operating system you don't have sources for. ;-)

J"org,

Thanks for the help. Couple more questions.

1. If 48meg is not enough, will 70 meg do for a decent installation to use X11,C++
   compiler. I will not be using any networking software or internet access. That has to
   wait until I get a second disk drive. Also I will be the only user(a Newbie to unix).

2. Does FreeBSD support any parallel port (printer port) tape drive like Hp-Colorado 1000e?

Any help will be appriciated.

Thanks.

Chetty.