Date:      Sat, 20 Sep 2003 09:11:59 -0600
From:      jse@xmission.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Machine stops responding for a minute or so?

I have a remote machine running icecast to send an internet radio stream
and it also serves the web page.  Every now and then it just quits
responding for a minute or so.  The audio stream stops, it won't dish up
the web page, I can't ping it, and the ssh session I keep open doesn't
respond either.

There is a Linux router on the network connection and it still responds
during the bad period so I don't believe it is an external network
problem.

This morning when it happened as soon as I could get back in I looked at
the log files and the only thing that looked unusual was about the time it
stopped responding there was this entry in http-access.log:

209.42.72.248 - - [20/Sep/2003:08:28:21 -0600] "GET /scripts/nsiislog.dll"

which I assume was someone looking for a vulnerable IIS server?  That
shouldn't cause any grief should it?

Does anybody have any ideas why it would just go away like that?  And is
there anything I could look for?

Thanks
  -Scott