Date:      Sun, 18 Jun 2000 04:17:05 -0500
From:      Tactical Neural Pudding <neuralpudding@mindspring.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   USB hanging 4.0 -STABLE at isa_probe_children

I am having difficulty setting up USB support and would greatly
appreciate any suggestions. If needed I can supply my entire boot
messages (under a functioning kernel) and kernel config. Does anyone
know what I am doing wrong?

The problem:
Whenever I boot a kernel with USB support compiled in, the machine
hangs at boot, after having already successfully detected uhci0 and
usb0. It hangs between the sio1 and at0 probes. When I do 'boot -v' I
see that the machine hangs at the following message:

isa_probe_children: probing PnP devices

I am running 4.0 -STABLE on a Dell Inspiron 3200 laptop.  I have an
Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB controller, and a TI PCI-1131 pccard
controller. The BIOS's PnP OS option is disabled. I'm afraid I can't
give full boot messages with the problem kernel, as it hangs during
boot. I have set up my kernel conf file so that my pccard controller
pcic0 uses IRQ 11 instead of the default 10, since my USB controller
uses IRQ 10. This is what Win98 uses on this machine. Previously they
both used IRQ 10. Behaviour was the same before that change (ie:
pcmcia works, USB doesn't).

Here are the USB lines from my kernel config:
device         uhci            # UHCI PCI->USB interface
device         usb             # USB Bus (required)
device         ugen            # Generic

If on the other hand I boot a kernel without USB support, and try to
load USB support as a module with 'kldload usb', the machine scrolls the
following message indefinitely and ceases to respond to anything short
of CTRL-ALT-ESC or a power cycle:

usb0: host controller halted.

uname output:
FreeBSD chiba.ether 4.0-STABLE FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE #25: Sat Jun 17
12:39:54 CDT 2000     root@chiba.ether:/usr/src/sys/compile/CHIBA  i386

Any help is appreciated,
Barry Kelly