Date:      Fri, 4 Dec 2020 07:51:32 +0300
From:      Anatoly <anatoly@kazanfieldhockey.ru>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: replacing ffserver?

On Thu, 3 Dec 2020 23:10:16 -0500
Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com> wrote:

> Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz> writes:
>
> >   Possibly multimedia/motion?
>
> 	On examination ... interesting program, but not what I'm
> looking for.  (Today.  :-)
>

> 			Respectfully,
>

> 				Robert Huff

Probably simplest way is to use multimedia/VLC
VLC is not just player, but server too, supports bunch of
protocols,transports and codecs. Can run headless or with console or
remote interface.

ffserver never worked to me as expected and finally was abandoned by
ffmpeg team somewere around 2009.

What is your clients? If it is software players than you have wide range
of transports, containers, codecs to play with in VLC. But if you want
to watch video in browser, then modern browsers, excluding Microsoft's
(as I think) support only one option on themselves: http (protocol) +
webm (transport) + vp8 (video codec), + vorbis (audio).
vp8 is heavy, slower than libx264, so you need fast machine.
Services like youtube using HLS/DASH standards but this needs more
complex setup like that:
- tell ffmpeg to produce corresponding files *.m3u8 (playlist) and
  *.ts (chunks of video, let's say one file per 30s, and it is h264)
  into web directory of web server (apache, nginx, etc)
- create web page with embedded java script (can't point to
  ready solution yet, but they are exist) that will re-read *.m3u8 and
  kick browser to start to play every new file every 30s.
- serve all that to your clients with web server