Date:      Sat, 10 Mar 2001 07:30:33 -0600
From:      Hyunseog Ryu <hyun@staff.norlight.net>
To:        User Duraid <latif2221@home.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: security problem

--------------85496E68FAEA4E42181AA8E4

lo0 is loopback interface.
You shouldn't give any other IP address except 127.0.0.1.
lo0 is used to test software or network connection without real
hardware.
The reason why you see those message instead of syslog file is
because it's considered as critical information.
If you see /etc/syslog.conf,
you will see following from default conf.

*.err;kern.debug;auth.notice;mail.crit          /dev/console
*.emerg                                         *

That means that emergency message will be displayed everybody's screen
who
logs in system at the time, and other error, kernel debug, and
some other messages will be displayed in console screen.

Usually I don't use console screen. ;-)
Because I don't want to be bothered with informational messages,
and I want to leave console for those messages checking purpose.
You may see same messages from syslog file defined in /etc/syslog.conf
file, too.

Hyun

User Duraid wrote:

> the kernel is poping out these messages on my terminal.. what do they
> mean?
>
> duraid:/usr/home/duraid$ Mar  8 04:23:02 blue /kernel: arp: 192.168.1.1
> is on lo
> 0 but got reply from 00:10:b5:00:64:54 on xl0
> Mar  8 04:24:37 blue /kernel: arp: 192.168.1.1 is on lo0 but got reply
> from 00:1
> 0:b5:00:64:54 on xl0
> Mar  8 05:39:30 blue /kernel: arp: 192.168.1.1 is on lo0 but got reply
> from 00:a
> 0:c9:1e:c0:19 on xl0
> Mar  8 05:40:00 blue last message repeated 9 times
> Mar  8 05:42:00 blue last message repeated 15 times
> Mar  8 05:52:01 blue last message repeated 46 times
> Mar  8 05:55:39 blue last message repeated 26 times
>
> and also how do i stop the messages from being pop in my face but
> instead log them some where else?
>
> Duraid

--------------85496E68FAEA4E42181AA8E4

begin:vcard
n:Ryu;Hyunseig
tel;fax:262-792-7655
tel;work:262-792-7965
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Norlight Telecommunications;Applications Engineering
adr:;;275 North Corporate Drive;Brookfield;WI;53045;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:hyun@staff.norlight.net
title:Network Engineer
note:MCSE, CCDA