Date:      Wed, 24 Sep 2003 16:29:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mike Hoskins <mike@adept.org>
To:        advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as a desktop OS was Re: Sorry

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, Vulpes Velox wrote:
> > use a specific IRQ bc it booted my NIC out of its IRQ.  This
> > isn't whining, aside from some frustration I enjoyed learning

if reading man pages and LINT/README/whatever comments, etc. is sooooo
hard...  well i'll move on to my next point...

> > the OS better, but my dad will *never* do that.  Neither will my
> > wife, sister, the lady in HR, the CFO, etc.

different strokes for different folks.  when we reach the point where "we
have to do everything just like windoze so people will like us"...  well,
it'd seem we then stop having values of our own.

luckily, the core team won't let that happen.  we do have values.  we do
have strengths.  we work as a server, or a desktop...  and as the old
adage goes, "Unix isn't unfriendly, it's just picky about its friends."

> Having the option for it could be good. But it should be made sure that it is
> clear what is happening at the command line level or whatever.

precisely.  if someone wants to make superwhizbanginstaller, and make it
an option for "newbie installs" -- great.  i've seen huge improvements in
what we have though, and hate to see it so readily dismissed.  (just
moved my workstation here to 5.1 -- great job guys!) also, if the
superwhizbanginstaller gets bundled into some sort of meta port (i.e.
instant-newbie-workstation) so sysinstall works through a warmer, fuzzier
frontend...  fine.  just don't think that everyone actually wants our
install process to look like M$'.

the point is, what we have works for some.  i don't think anyone's opposed
to coming up with options that attempt to make the majority happy (if
they're not already)...  but it has to be done properly -- i.e. power
users don't get treated like newbies just so newbies don't have to learn.

i mean, really...  does anyone use that crappy X installer in RH?  that's
the only "bad" reference point i have off-hand.  all i can say is if that
became the default installer, i'd be severely disappointed.

-mrh

From: "Spam Catcher" <spam-catcher@adept.org>
To: spam-catcher@adept.org
Do NOT send email to the address listed above or
you will be added to a blacklist!