Date:      Sat, 26 May 2001 00:48:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
To:        "Pedro F. Giffuni" <pfg1+@pitt.edu>
Cc:        <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: BSD license getting more attention lately.

> If you are releasing modules with source under terms that are at least
> as free as the GPL (eg BSD without advertising clause) then nobody has
> any cares.

This seems to mean more or less "the new BSD license is fine with us."

> I wonder how their modified GPL protects them from patents,

Not at all, perhaps?

> not to mention the one in RTlinux.

Please explicate.

> I think there's something deeper here...they are starting to feel
> pressure from somewhere...maybe Microsoft's comments?? maybe they are
> [losing] industry interest.

Wouldn't it be terrible to have Microsoft VPs breaking out in oral
diarrhea over FreeBSD?  It'd be almost as bad having them hire the Rolling
Stones to sing on TV about how much FreeBSD sucks (maybe based on "Suck On
The Jugular"):

   Been keeping cool
   Been lying low
   Been running smooth
   No longer slow
   I've seen the Microsoft way
   My disk is clean
   FreeBSD's
   Off my machine

   All get together and feel alright
   All get together and rock all night
   All get together and feel alright
   Okay

   Get ready
   For sure
   FreeBSD
   Sucks on the jugular

BTW the PPP code in Linux is under a BSD license, and one of its
configuration scripts was contributed by someone at microsoft.com. :)
--
Trevor Johnson