Date:      12 Apr 2001 14:02:51 -0400
From:      Rajappa Iyer <rsi@panix.com>
To:        richard childers <fscked@pacbell.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tales From The City

richard childers <fscked@pacbell.net> writes:

> When I transported into Manhattan last Saturday, one of the things on my
> list of to-dos was to stop by a computer store in Grand Central Station
> that I had noticed was offering laptops for low, low prices, and see
> what they offered.- the business card that I was initially offered, when
> I had stopped by on my way into town, and had negotiated this offer with
> the salesman and his immediate boss, says "Grand Central Cameras".

Anyone who's lived in NYC knows to avoid these midtown camera and
electronics shops.  They are notorious tourist traps and constantly
indulge in bait and switch.  As you experienced and observed, the
moment it becomes clear that the potential sucker^H^H^H^H^H^Hcustomer
knows what he's talking about, the salesmen lose all interest in
selling him anything.

That said, you can get good deals on laptops in Manhattan... prices
that are close to mail order prices.  Datavision is not a bad place,
but has poor return policies.  RCS is another relatively reputable
place to buy from.  There's another shop, whose name escapes me, that
specializes only in mobile computers and accessories---not great
prices, but a good range of stuff.  J&R is a good shop with decent
prices.

Regards,
Rajappa
--