Date:      Wed, 30 Jan 2013 11:01:38 -0500
From:      Brett Wynkoop <wynkoop@wynn.com>
To:        george@ceetonetechnology.com
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some ideas on Tim's script

On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 09:24:58 -0500
George Rosamond <george@ceetonetechnology.com> wrote:

> I mentioned this to Tim offline a while back, but I have some quick
> thoughts on options for the scripts.
>
> A bunch of us in NYC*BUG have been hacking on Soekris and Alix boards
> with i386 for a long while, which lays the basis for some of these
> thoughts.
>
> But first, with 8G images, I had to adjust the config.sh's SD_SIZE
> below 7900 for Kingston SD Cards to fit.  I can give more specifics
> if desired.  Anyone else experience that?

No problem with my microsd card, but I do not recall what brand it is
and I do not want to shut down the board to check.

> In terms of /etc/fstab, I think adding tmpfs to the kernel would be
> useful.  Without it, using md(4) for /var/log, /tmp and /var/tmp is
> certainly a nice way to minimize disk writes.

I agree that tmpfs in the kernel would be good for the above.

> It might also make sense to add rc_debug="YES" and rc_info="YES" to
> the default /etc/rc.conf.  Most users are testing right now, and it's
> only logical for the pool of people hacking on them.
>
> And maybe to add the relevant ntpdate(8) settings to /etc/rc.conf.

One of the first things I did was put ntpdate into startup, but for
boards not connected to the net that will create a several second hang.

-Brett

--

wynkoop@wynn.com               http://prd4.wynn.com/wynkoop/pgp-keys.txt
917-642-6925

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep
and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against
tyranny in government" - Thomas Jefferson.