Date:      Sat, 19 Jan 2002 12:55:29 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Aaron Smith <aaron-fbsd@mutex.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftpd patch that saves me a lot of hassle

    What?  You don't like directories named '...w^Ha^Hr^He^Hz^H^H^H' ?

    I like it, but there are a few problems.  What about underscore?  And
    will this mess up people using ftp outside the U.S.?

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>

:I got sick of (presumably) warez people probing my anonymous ftp site and
:dropping all kinds of hard-to-delete trash in incoming, so I patched my
:ftpd to only allow directories to start with alphanumerics. There's
:probably a better solution, but this works for me so I figure'd I'd share.
:
:Combining this with a umask that doesn't allow reading uploaded files keeps
:things reasonably well in hand.
:
:--Aaron
:
:
:Index: ftpd.c
:===================================================================
:RCS file: /usr/cvs/src/libexec/ftpd/ftpd.c,v
:retrieving revision 1.62.2.15
:diff -u -r1.62.2.15 ftpd.c
:--- ftpd.c	2001/12/18 18:35:55	1.62.2.15
:+++ ftpd.c	2002/01/19 09:47:42
:@@ -2216,6 +2216,12 @@
: {
:
: 	LOGCMD("mkdir", name);
:+
:+	if (!isalnum(*name)) {
:+		reply(521, "Bite me.");
:+		return;
:+	}
:+
: 	if (mkdir(name, 0777) < 0)
: 		perror_reply(550, name);
: 	else
:
:with "unsubscribe freebsd-hackers" in the body of the message
: