Date:      Fri, 5 Mar 2004 12:18:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: autoconfiguring X

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004, Dag-Erling [iso-8859-1] Sm=F8rgrav wrote:

> > I will have to look closer at the DDC specification. I don't recall it
> > giving this vertical refresh and horizontal sync information.
>
> Yes, it does.  I have a Compaq V70 here (manufactured 1997-20) with
> DDC1 support, EDID version 1.1; XFree86 correctly detects (and logs)
> the supported frequency ranges.

That is great and convenient that it works for you.

> > In the many times that I have used "XFree86 -configure" it seems like I
> > always have to manually set the VertRefresh and HorizSync.
>
> I've never had that problem.

The MonitorsDB file from hwdata-knoppix-0.95 has 3456 entries for various
Monitors to give that horiz sync and vertical refresh information.

At first, I thought it was an indication that 3456 monitors didn't give
information, but I see it also lists your monitor:

 Compaq; Compaq V70 Color Monitor; cpq170a; 30.0-69.0; 50-125.0; 1

The workstation I am sitting at has a TRL 100f monitor as detected by
XFree86. The FCC ID shows it is from Royal Information Electronic's
Company. I had to manually set the VertRefresh and HorizSync. The
MonitorsDB (which I don't use yet under *BSD) has 7 TRL/RIC entries, but
not mine.

My goal for this is not only for this FreeBSD "advocacy" discussion, but
that I have built custom NetBSD Live CDs for a couple years that I want to
have instant X configuration wherever it is used. (With older XFree86 3.x,
my CD provided four different XF86Config files for 1280x1024, 1024x768,
800x600, and 640x480 VESA standards.)

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/