Date:      Mon, 22 Oct 2001 07:05:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      X Philius <xphilius@yahoo.com>
To:        Ronnie Clark <Ronj_clark@yahoo.com>, kstewart@owt.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Best upgrade path from 4.1 Release to 4.4 Release, via CVsup if  possible

Ronnie,
I'm not sure if that would fix the problem or not. The error I was getting was during the make
buildworld stage, compiling /gnu/usr.bin/binutils/ld. The specific Stop error I was getting had
something to do with an undefined reference to 'basename'. I naver got to the point of making my
custom kernel. On Kent's suggestion I tried the process with 4.2 Release, and 4 Stable, instead of
4.4 Release, and the buildworld process went smoothly. Course, now I have to decide whether to be
cautious and install 4.4 Release, or start tracking Stable. I think I will probably chicken out
and use sysinstall to upgrade to 4.4 Release on my real server. Odd that you did not run into the
same Stops running make buildworld though, I wonder if there is something else going on with my
system.

Jason

PS- Don' t know if you caught it above, but the buildworld went fine upgrading to 4 Stable, so
your hint about the bootstrapping having changed since 4.4 Release seems correct. I'll be
completeing the upgrade tonight on my dev server. I'll probably be posting some questions about
going with 4 Stable versus 4.4 release. My instinct tells me that "Stable" is probably least
stable immediately after a major release. I'd think the developers would make lots of changes
right after a release.