Date:      Fri, 31 Aug 2001 13:00:04 -0700
From:      Nick Sayer <nsayer@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Slow DVD?

I have been disappointed so far with just about all the DVD playback options
available, but I believe I have an explanation now.

I have a relatively old DVDROM drive. The virtue of it is that it's
regionless. Here's what the kernel has to say:

cd1 at ahc0 bus 0 target 5 lun 0
cd1: <PIONEER DVD-ROM DVD-303 1.09> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-2 device
cd1: 20.000MB/s transfers (20.000MHz, offset 8)

If someone were to "rip" a movie using a particularly naughty piece of
software, it turns out that xine and vlc can both play the resulting mpg file
perfectly.

If someone were to use naughty versions of xine or vlc, one would find that
the playback skipped a lot of frames and looked basically crappy, but the CPU
is 60% idle.

These two circumstances tell me that perhaps the drive itself is the
bottleneck. Does anyone know of any magic sysctls I might try on cam to speed
things up?