Date:      Tue, 20 Jan 2004 23:40:00 +0100 (CET)
From:      Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
To:        sos@spider.deepcore.dk
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: reading raw data from a CD-R with damaged table of contents

In article <200401071343.i07DhMPG062912@spider.deepcore.dk> you write:
>It seems Kevin Serwick wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I added some files to a multisession CD-R with the
>> burncd command.  It appeared to work fine, but when I
>> read the disk, the new files didn't show up.  So I did
>> the burncd fixate command - bad idea!  Now nothing
>> shows up!  (burncd's no Nero Burning Rom! Live and
>> learn...  Is the GUI burning software usable and
>> reliable?)
>>
>> I assume it just destroyed the table of contents.
>
>Rather you add a new one that is empty or garbled.
>
>> Any suggestions for how I can recover that data?
>
>It might be posible to read the original session, I seem to remember
>that it can be set somehow, but default is to always read the last.

Just in case you still haven't found this yourself:

from mount_cd9660(8):

-s startsector:

     Start the file system at startsector.  Normally, if the underly-
     ing device is a CD-ROM drive, mount_cd9660 will try to figure out
     the last track from the CD-ROM containing data, and start the
     file system there.  If the device is not a CD-ROM, or the table
     of contents cannot be examined, the file system will be started
     at sector 0.  This option can be used to override the behaviour.
     Note that startsector is measured in CD-ROM blocks, with 2048
     bytes each.  This is the same as for example the info command of
     cdcontrol(1) is printing.	It is possible to mount an arbitrary
     session of a multi-session CD by specifying the correct
     startsector here.

 HTH,
	Juergen