Date:      Mon, 9 Sep 2002 11:27:27 +0100
From:      Daniel Bye <dan@slightlystrange.org>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Request for proof of sendmail config procedure

On Sun, Sep 08, 2002 at 06:36:34PM +0100, Stacey Roberts wrote:
> Hello,
>      I'm hoping that the knowledgeable list members might be able to
> assist me in setting up sendmail for my home site. I appreciate that
> there is the possibility that what I am attempting is a no-go, and I'd
> appreciate someone telling this as well.
>
> Here's the set-up:
> a] I have an ADSL connection to my home net, with a dynamic (I can sense
> the frowns on a few foreheads already!) IP addr assigned from my ISP
>
> b] I have my own, registered domain name, and the target machine has its
> hostname set to <hostname>.domainname.com
>
> c] Sendmail has *never* been tweaked (not even the "make" in /etc/mail),
> but mail works fine (i.e.: I have configured mua to send / receive
> e-mail via ISP's mail server).
>
> Here's what I'd like to do:
>
> 1] Configure sendmail on the target machine so that I can run my own
> mail server
>
> 2] Configure sendmail such that the hostname is left out in the headers
> of outging mail - masquerade using my domain name
>
> 3] I know that a configured DNS is required for sendmail to work
> correctly (which I can do), but is it possible to use my ISP's
> nameservers instead of running my own local primary servers?
>
> If this is too much of an ask, let me know, okay? Thanks to those that
> might respond.

I use a very similar setup (sed -e s/sendmail/exim/g yourmail), and it
works just fine.  Can't help with point 2, as I am not a sendmail person.

But, point 3 - as you are on ADSL, your best bet would be to use dynamic
DNS - one thing I noticed about BT's ADSL is that each time you reboot,
you are likely to get a new IP address.  Create an account on something
like ZoneEdit.com (free for up to 5 hosts, I think), and make sure that
as part of your startup you update your A record to show your new address.
ZoneEdit.com updates are done over http, so you can use wget for this.

The problem with using your ISP's name servers is that they will have
unsuitable TTL and refresh values for a host whose address is likely
to change on a frequent basis.  Running your own primaries locally would
have problems too - chicken and egg style of thing - how will you
advertise your name server, if its IP address is not guaranteed to be
the same from one day to the next?

If I have misunderstood your question, forgive me - and help me by
restating it!

HTH

Dan

--
Daniel Bye

PGP Key fingerprint: 3D73 AF47 D448 C5CA 88B4 0DCF 849C 1C33 3C48 2CDC
                                                                     _
                                              ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
                                         - against HTML, vCards and  X
                                - proprietary attachments in e-mail / \