Date:      Fri, 15 Feb 2008 10:11:38 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, des@des.no, deeptech71@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: What's up with the symlinks in the 7.0-RC2 ISO images?

Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
 > deeptech71@gmail.com writes:
 > > Well, Rock Ridge is a nonstandard extension, and I don't see why it is
 > > needed. Also, Windows sees these files as 0 length empties.
 >
 > RockRidge has been in widespread use for over ten years.  It's not our
 > fault Microsoft decided to develop and use their own incompatible
 > standard.  And I don't see why you would want to access a FreeBSD ISO
 > image on Windows anyway...

Well, someone might want to look at the "doc" CD on Windows
(e.g if he's offline and needs to loo at the docs before
installing FreeBSD).

However:

 - The symlinks aren't required to read the docs.  They're
   only for convenience.

 - All the ISO images -- including the doc one -- are built
   with MS-Joliet extensions (in addition to RockRidge), so
   long file names etc. work fine on Windows, too.

So there is no problem.

Best regards
   Oliver

Python is executable pseudocode.  Perl is executable line noise.