Date:      Thu, 7 Sep 1995 08:57:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@kryten.Atinc.COM>
To:        Seppo Kallio <kallio@jyu.fi>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: * master.passwd busy -- some bug in passwd? *

On Thu, 7 Sep 1995, Seppo Kallio wrote:

> I have 1800 accounts in my FreeBSD 205R. And a lot of users. Going fine so
> far! With 39 users no problems ... ah ... yes many seem to be idle. Need
> set autologout and kill idles every night.

	try using untamo to get rid of users that fail to logout.
from the readme:

Untamo is a locally developed daemon which periodically wakes up and
logs off idle terminals; it also can deal with multiply-logged in
users.  It is configurable without recompilation, and features tunable
parameters such as maximum allowed idle time, maximum allowable
multiple logins, exemption lists, and so on.  (Note: session limits
do not work at the moment.)

We use this program to ensure availability of one of our scarcer
resources: terminals.  Others may find it useful for different reasons;
preventing users from leaving a terminal logged-in and unattended
for hours is probably a reasonable security measure.

The original posting caused a deluge of mail, as the sources contained
references to local include files.  This has been fixed by #ifdef'ing
the code which applies only locally.  This version has been successfully
compiled on a Sequent Balance 21000 running Dynix v2.0.6, a CCI 6/32
running 4.3bsd, a DEC VAX-8600 running 4.3bsd, a Gould PowerNode 9080
Running UTX-32 Release 1.3, and and a VAX-11/780 running 4.2bsd.

Please address correspondence concerning untamo to "doc" on this machine;
the original author has left Purdue, but Craig Norborg (aka "doc") is
reasonably familiar with the program.
--
Rich Kulawiec, pucc-j!rsk, rsk@j.cc.purdue.edu, rsk@purdue-asc.arpa

Jonathan M. Bresler  jmb@kryten.atinc.com       | Analysis & Technology, Inc.
FreeBSD Postmaster   jmb@FreeBSD.Org            | 2341 Jeff Davis Hwy
play go.                                        | Arlington, VA 22202
ride bike. hack FreeBSD.--ah the good life      | 703-418-2800 x346