Date:      Wed, 27 Feb 2002 11:21:23 +1030
From:      Michael Gratton <mike@vee.net>
To:        "Bissell, Tim" <Tim.Bissell@DRKW.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What is ant good for?

Bissell, Tim wrote:
> Tubby honest, I'm not convinced Jikes and Ant go together -
> Jikes' raison d'etre is speed, but the java compiler is quite
> fast when used inside the Ant JVM - you lose the startup costs.

True, true, but one of the reasons I use Jikes with ant is to recover
the time cost from starting Ant. 8)

Still, due to some wacky bugs jikes has, I have cause to use javac with
Ant, and javac still does take longer than, significantly so for large
builds, even without the overhead of starting a JVM.

>>So I'm wondering whether ant does anything that would make it
>>worth the effort of learning to use it.

[snip: many good reasons to use Ant]

To add to that list: Automatically generating release documention and
the web site for your project, using XSLT.

Mike.

--
Mike Gratton <mike@vee.net>
   Leader in leachate production and transmission since 1976.