Date:      Thu, 8 Nov 2001 21:23:33 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Scott Gerhardt" <scott@gerhardt-it.com>, "Ronald R. Perez" <ronaldp76@earthlink.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: /var/ is full

Scott Gerhardt <scott@gerhardt-it.com> types:
> Yes,  the default /var is grossly undersized and can result in suprises for
> newbies that don't realize how large the logs and mail spool can get on a
> busy server, especially when virtual hosting.  I think the default location
> for data i.e. MySQL databases is in /var/db  as well, so database
> requirements should be considered.  These are things that are not obvious to
> the new FreeBSD'er.
>
> In my installation, I made a 2GB /var/log partition just for logs.  That way
> if logging get's out of control the mail spool and other processes that rely
> on /var are not affected.  I also made /var quite large (6GB) to handle
> databases and mail spool. Of course every installation will be different
> depending upon the purpose of the Server.

My installations either have large /var's, or large /'s without
mounting a separate /var, depending on whether or not / and /var are
being treated differently for some purposes.

Ronald R. Perez <ronaldp76@earthlink.net> types:
> The same thing is happening to my machine.  How do we go about in resizing
> the /var partition? The size of my /var partition is 20MB.

The easiest way to do this is shut down to single user mode, choose a
partition with a reasonable amount of free space - probably either
/usr or /home, and create a var on it - say /home/var. Now dump /var
and restore it in the new location like so:

# dump 0af - /var | (cd /home/var; restore xf -)

Now point /var to the new location like so:

# unmount /var
# rmdir /var
# ln -s /home/var /

Finally, remove the /var line from /etc/fstab.

That solves the problem, but wastes 20 MB of disk space. If that
really bothers you, you can expand the partition in front of /var to
use it. If that's swap, just changing the partition size with
disklabel will do the trick. If it's a real file system, you'll want
to use growfs afterwards. Personally, I don't think 20 meg is worth
the trouble.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.