Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 2000 16:35:43 -0700
From:      "Mike Muir" <mmuir@es.co.nz>
To:        <hardware@freebsd.org>, <question@freebsd.org>, <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Specific video hardware support with the advent of the Linux A|W Maya port.

Recently, Alias|Wavefront announced they would port Maya to Linux.
    Assuming FreeBSD can emulate the linux binary's (and I have no reason to
think that it won't) then what about support for video hardware (high, mid
and consumer -end) which requires more than just a suitable X server? Take
the case of Nvidia's linux drivers which are comprised of a kernel module
which interfaces with the XFree86 4.0/4.0.1 driver also provided. I havn't
looked into the drivers as I lack the knowledge and experience to even
fathom porting to a freebsd kernel module. I understand there is an element
of closed source with these drivers but i'm unsure whether this is at the
module, or the XFree driver.. to cut to the chase, my question is whether
the porting of a driver such as these is the onus of a FreeBSD contributer,
or is it at Nvidia's discretion? Assuming the element of closed source works
under FreeBSD, then how easy would a port like this be? Or is somebody
working on this case [nvidia's 5.xx linux drivers for Xfree86 4.*] as I
comment?
    On a wider scale, if a vendor provides a driver, or server for X and
their hardware (lets say a particularly high end piece of equipment such as
an Intergraph Wildcat) perhaps specifically with the intention for a Linux
distrubtion which is to be packaged along with this Intergraph system, would
it be reasonable to assume this would also work under FreeBSD or would the
vendor be required to specifically write a version of their driver or server
for FreeBSD? The reason I ask is that I see no reason why the growing field
of animators using tools such as A|W Maya shouldn't opt to use FreeBSD over
Linux (red hat at that) while they're on their way migrating from NT -- OR
kicking off their endevours. What are (if any) the road blocks which could
stop this from happening?

    -mike.