Date:      Sat, 2 Sep 2000 18:12:42 -0600 (MDT)
From:      John Galt <galt@inconnu.isu.edu>
To:        Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>, Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, rob <europax@home.com>, Johannes Zwart <johannes@jak.nl>, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Why not XEmacs, after all?

On Sat, 2 Sep 2000, Ben Smithurst wrote:

> John Galt wrote:
>
> > So why is it still forbidden in a fresh download?
>
> 4.0 is 4.0, it won't suddenly change.  Ever.  If you want to use ports,
> cvsup the latest ports tree and you will get no such error.

And this somehow makes lynx non-deprecated then?  To be more precise, I
wanted to use packages, failed, and had to settle with the installed
ports tree: this also failed, so I got the tarball and am now using
lynx.  It's not available "out of the box" in a major version release,
this is a result of a policy decision, therefore it may be said that it's
deprecated until such a time as it can be proven that the policy no longer
is in force: one datum is not enough proof in this case, otherwise one
could say that MS-win 3.X was 32-bit, since win 3.11 had some 32-bit
components, and there was a backported fix for win 3.1 called win32s.

> > I have my own reasons for downloading what I did,
>
> Let me guess.  You want to complain about something which has already
> been fixed, and you expect people to be sympathetic?

Not really: I EXPECTED lynx.  The reason I installed 4.0 is as proof to
myself: you see, until last week, I was working on a woefully underpowered
system and invested a rather large amount of emotional capital keeping it
as updated as possible but consistently failed to install 4.0 (starting
sometime about easter...) and keep it alive for an extended amount of
time.  Last week, I got a new box (new for me...), so I immediately tried
my nemisis: 4.0 (you DID ask twice now...).

> > but until the un-forbid fix propagates,
>
> As it did months ago to those of us who cvsup out ports tree regularly,
> you mean?

So is 4.0 frozen or dynamic?  Or are you not running 4.0 after the first
cvs update?  If you can't get lynx in 4.0 (not 4.0 plus a couple of
things), I still say it's deprecated until I see more than one release
reversing the change.

--
When you are having a bad day, and it seems like everybody is trying to
tick you off, remember that it takes 42 muscles to produce a frown, but

Who is John galt?  Galt@inconnu.isu.edu, that's who!