Date:      Wed, 09 Apr 2003 10:34:32 -0700
From:      Johnson David <DavidJohnson@Siemens.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sysadmins [was: Brilliant and very useful for FreeBSD, IMHO]

On Wednesday 09 April 2003 05:01 am, Terry Lambert wrote:

> FWIW: It's possible to do the same administrative division on
> Windows XP; I have to wonder why you haven't done it.  I suspect
> that it's because it's politically impossible, and the executive
> users wouldn't stand for not having the admin password on their
> machines, or being able to install the newest "Flash" plugin
> when some web site demands it.

It is politically impossible. At some basic level, the user still needs
to be in control of their environment. With UNIX you can still install
software in your home directory. I do this at work all the time. But
under Windows it seems to be an either-or proposition. I understand
that it's possible to give the user a "home" directory with install
permissions uner NT/XP, but it never seems to work in practice.

When the CEO can't install a driver for his new PDA (true story) then
the admins had better enable him to do so or get someone to do it for
him pronto.

David