Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 2014 11:40:52 -0600
From:      John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net>
To:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, stable@freebsd.org, FreeBSD Current <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [HEADSUP] pkg 1.3.0 alpha1: Breath of fresh air from Kirov

Looks great! Thanks as always for the work. I do have one question =
(below).

On Mar 17, 2014, at 11:21 AM, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org> =
wrote:

> - Remove support for PACKAGESITE

There are two cases where I still define PACKAGESITE in the environment, =
specifically when building new jails or VM images. Can you suggest =
alternatives?

1. Installing/bootstrapping the latest pkg from a specific source. Often =
I build in an environment that is firewalled from the Internet at large =
but I have a local repo. (And it's nice to know exactly what version =
with which options I'm installing.)

2. Installing a package that includes a repo file for my local custom =
repo. This is a chicken-and-egg problem for which PACKAGESITE was a nice =
solution since there's no risk of a stale repo file being left =
behind--either the package is installed (with the correct/current repo =
file) or it isn't.

JN