Date:      Sat, 31 Dec 2011 16:34:26 +0000
From:      Chris Rees <crees@freebsd.org>
To:        Devin Teske <devin.teske@fisglobal.com>
Cc:        dougb@freebsd.org, freebsd-rc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: conf/163727: [rc.d] [patch] The mountlate rc.d boot script cannot be disabled

On 31 December 2011 16:08, Devin Teske <devin.teske@fisglobal.com> wrote:

> On Dec 30, 2011, at 11:58 PM, <dougb@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
>> Old Synopsis: [rc.d] [patch] The mountlate RCNG boot script cannot be di=
sabled
>> New Synopsis: [rc.d] [patch] The mountlate rc.d boot script cannot be di=
sabled

>> State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
>
> Should I take this one to the forums to get a wider consensus?
>
> Because everybody in the community I talk to agrees with me -- in the sen=
se that mountlate should be abled to be disabled for those that desire-to.

>> State-Changed-By: dougb
>> State-Changed-When: Sat Dec 31 07:54:00 UTC 2011
>> State-Changed-Why:
>>
>> 1. What you're talking about is an extreme edge case.
>
> I completely disagree.
>
> About 10 years ago, our company paid into the FreeBSD community tens-of-t=
housands of dollars to make certain that NFS was both rock-stable and could=
 be used as a production platform.

> Now, we're seeing that NFS is a second-class citizen (only that it is cur=
rently _impossible_ without modification of the FreeBSD system to have even=
 one single NFS mount in your fstab(5) without risking certain eventual dea=
th for, being dropped into single-user mode).

> The fact of the matter is that we use NFS to "band" our BSD systems toget=
her and without any modification to the FreeBSD system, we've identified no=
 less than a half-dozen cases (that are _not_ extreme in any way) where the=
 system boots into single-user mode.

> But then again, I'm sure that you'll tell me that a simple power-outage i=
s "extreme" -- in which case, even a power-outage can cause several hundred=
s of machines to boot into single-user mode simply because there was a race=
-condition between which machines would have DNS, which machines would have=
 their "companion PC's" boot just a smidge slower than the machines that mo=
unt-them.

>> If you can't figure
>> out how to properly configure these systems,
>
> We're resorting to insults now? Gee, thanks!
>

>> then simply removing the script
>> from /etc/rc.d is enough.
>
> You reject my patch and tell me to "simply remov[e] the script". This con=
fuses me. I would have in all earnest thought this was not a possible outco=
me. But hey... I guess that (removing the script) works too, just hadn't th=
ought of it.

> I'd still rather see the community embrace this simple patch. After-all, =
what's the harm if some administrator wants to disable this script? Like yo=
u say... deleting the script works too. But,... after deletion one cannot j=
ust "simply change his mind" ... as he now has to scp the script out from a=
nother box (which hopefully there's a copy lying around somewhere).

> I think making the script toggle-able is better than just killing it (whi=
ch is dirty as it leavers no easy way to turn it back on; in a general sens=
e).

>> 2. Don't attempt to mount critical remote file systems using DNS names.
>
> It doesn't matter if you use DNS names or not. If you don't use DNS names=
, then the box can still drop to single-user mode if the destination is not=
 mountable. This can occur for example in a power-outage and the machines a=
re not brought up in the right order or there is a momentary lapse caused b=
y different boot-speeds of different hardware.

> Trust me doug, we've been battling these cases for months.
>
> The tiny two-line patch that is required to make mountlate toggle-able se=
ems to be the "least evil" -- that is, including comparison to "simply remo=
ving the script" which in itself seems evil.

>> This
>> has been true for as long as I can remember.
>
> That may be so, but we at VICOR have the distinct impression that somewhe=
re along the line between FreeBSD-4 (where we were extremely active -- host=
ing FreeBSD release parties at our office, contributing daily both monetari=
ly and code-wise back when 3 committers were actively employed here) and -C=
URRENT, that NFS was made a "second-class citizen".

> Back in the FreeBSD-4 days, we would have never imagined EVER making NFS =
critical to boot into single-user mode, because we know that NFS fails all =
the time and furthermore, we expect to SSH in and execute "mount -a" to fix=
 the problem.

> Mind you, I do see that there are a LOT of mechanisms for indicating via =
configuration that some network filesystem ought not to be critical to boot=
ing into multi-user mode, but in practice, not a damned one of them works. =
I've raised patches to fix "bg", I've raised patches to fix "late", and I'v=
e even suggested now that the "mountlate" mechanism be able to be disabled =
if-so-desired.

> The net-effect to all of this, is that we feel that the community is acti=
vely trying to prevent progress-forward in finding a way to prevent a netwo=
rk filesystem from hanging the boot process, and we can't figure out WHY!!?=
?

> It's feeling like it's time to take this one to the forums.
>

>> 3. If you have critical remote systems that you can't afford to have han=
>> in single user mode, put a serial console on them.
>
> That's tantamount to a mandate to force our customers to build-out infras=
tructure that they currently (a) do not have and (b) do not desire.

> Furthermore, we can't force our customers to do anything. If they say "no=
" to serial consoles, we can't force them.

> That puts us in the unfortunate circumstance where we employ a field engi=
neer that could gladly fix the problem remotely at 2AM via logging into ssh=
d running in multi-user mode but alas... the system is stuck in single-user=
 mode so the field engineer has to be dispatched at 2AM to go type a couple=
 commands (which seems ridiculous).

>> Meta-notes:
>>
>> 1. I obeyed your disclaimer text
>
> I can't send e-mail without that being appended. I suggest you simply ign=
ore it (the e-mail was directly addressed to the Gnats system and therefore=
 the contents were _meant_ to be digested).

>> and removed the second patch that you sent.
>>
>> 2. It hasn't been "rcng" for a long time now. The preferred term is rc.d=
.

> Thanks.
>

>> Responsible-Changed-From-To: freebsd-rc->dougb
>> Responsible-Changed-By: dougb
>> Responsible-Changed-When: Sat Dec 31 07:54:00 UTC 2011
>> Responsible-Changed-Why:
>>
>> I'm closing this.
>
> Don't be surprised if it gets re-submitted.

Re-submitting won't help your cause.

However... I do think you have a slight bit of a point-- Doug, is
there a reason that the patch is harmful?

Chris