Date:      Sat, 13 Apr 2013 13:52:33 +0200
From:      Dimitry Andric <dim@FreeBSD.org>
To:        dparussalla@baysidegrp.com.au
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gnutls compile issues

On Apr 13, 2013, at 03:15, dparussalla@baysidegrp.com.au wrote:
> I am having issues compiling gnutls-2.12.23 on Freebsd 6.4 stable
> platform. Please find the following errors.
>=20
> Any help much appropriated.
>=20
> checking whether <wchar.h> uses 'inline' correctly... no
> configure: error: <wchar.h> cannot be used with this compiler (cc
> -std=3Dgnu99 -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe =
-I/usr/local/include/p11-kit-1 =20
> -I/usr/local/include -fPIC -D_THREAD_SAFE).
> This is a known interoperability problem of glibc <=3D 2.5 with gcc >=3D=
 4.3 in
> C99 mode. You have four options:
>  - Add the flag -fgnu89-inline to CC and reconfigure, or
>  - Fix your include files, using parts of
>    =
<http://sourceware.org/git/?p=3Dglibc.git;a=3Dcommitdiff;h=3Db037a293a4871=
8af30d706c2e18c929d0e69a621>,
> or
>  - Use a gcc version older than 4.3, or
>  - Don't use the flags -std=3Dc99 or -std=3Dgnu99.

Let me start by saying 6.4 is totally unsupported, but you are most
likely aware of that. :-)

That said, I don't think 6.4 already had complete C99 support, so this
is probably why the configure script fails.  You can see the script
itself gives you a few hints for a workaround.  Since 6.4 is already
using a gcc version older than 4.3, and the "fix your include files"
hint is only valid for glibc, the best option is to make sure -std=3Dc99
or -std=3Dgnu99 is *not* used.

For example, if you are building this manually, try setting
ac_cv_prog_cc_c99=3Dno in configure's environment, like so:

  ac_cv_prog_cc_c99=3Dno ./configure

If you are building this from the port, try adding a line:

  CONFIGURE_ENV+=3D ac_cv_prog_cc_c99=3Dno

in the port's Makefile.