Date:      Sat, 16 Dec 2000 23:54:45 -0800
From:      "David Schultz" <vvortex1@home.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Artifacts in X

Hi everyone,

I have FreeBSD 4.1-RELEASE installed, and I have had a bit of trouble with
display bugs. When I'm using an xterm, sometimes part of the text that
should stay inside the terminal gets printed out in the middle of the screen
on another application's window. Also, when I scroll down in Netscape, lines
sometimes just disappear. Over a year ago I installed FreeBSD 3.something
and I remember having the same problem. (I've installed FreeBSD clean since
then.) The same setup in Linux (RH 7) does not produce the problem.

I'm using Sawfish/GNOME, and I have an ATI Xpert 128 (Rage128 chipset) video
card. The problem occurs with both Intel BX2 and VIA Apollo mobo chipsets.
Could it be the video card, and if so, how should I go about fixing it?
Thanks in advance.

Regards,

David Schultz

"When the President does it, that means that it is not illegal."
-Richard Nixon, 1977