Date:      Thu, 18 Sep 1997 22:30:51 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   SUMMARY: Selecting media on LinkSys combo card

This posting is to summarize my experiences with the LinkSys PCMIA
combo card, primarily so that something ends up in the archives which
people can find again in a search.

I initially tried this card with the PAO boot floppy.  The card was
recognized and responded to ifconfig commands, but I could not make
it talk to my network, which was hooked to the BNC connector.  The
card acted very much like it would have worked if only I had been
using the 10baseT connector instead.

The solution was to go through the procedure of installing the
drivers for Windows 95, as outlined in the instructions that came
with the card.  Doing that changed something in the ethernet card
permanently, such that it now works fine using the BNC connector
even under FreeBSD.  The fix survives power cycling and removal of
the card from the computer.

The card (a very cheap NE2000 compatible) has been working flawlessly
for me ever since I got it talking to the BNC connector.

The one disadvantage I've noticed so far:  The connector that plugs
into the end of the card collides with the telephone wire that's
plugged into the Megahertz X-Jack modem card.  It looks like I won't
be able to use them at the same time.  I'm not sure which card to
blame for this.