Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 2000 01:26:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de (Christian Weisgerber), Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Shells

> > In article <200004152356.e3FNup102274@cwsys.cwsent.com> you write:
> > > With commit of tcsh, I'd like to raise another question.  Are there any
> > > plans to replace sh with bash.  Granted they're not 100% compatible,
> > > though my only experience with bash vs sh incompatibility was over 6
> > > years ago on a Linux system,
> >
> > bash is reputed to execute scripts rather slowly. I don't know if
> > this still holds true for the current version. It definitely is
> > rather large, though.
>
> This is because bash still tries to get the highest fd it can to
> avoid having to remember where it left the fd for the script
> currently being executed, and move it out of the way, should
> some user attempt to use it in their shell scripts.
>
> In other words, it is the result of lazy programmers not caring
> if they bloat the per process open file table to kingdom come,
> just so that they don't have to learn how to write proper
> resource tracking code, and do it The Right Way(tm).
>
> Back in The Old Days Before Resource Limits(tm), this would
> actually crash FreeBSD, since it was such a heinously bad idea
> to do this, no one had ever thought to protect the system from
> it happening, because no one could possibly be stupid enough
> to write code that acted that way, other than the while(1) fork();
> weenies, and we threw them off the important computers already.
>
> --
>
> All this said, the arguments against both tcsh and bash remain:
>
> 	Standard Plus Extensions Is Not Standard
> 						-- Terry Lambert

Posted on my office wall now.... :-).

> Which brings up another one:
>
> 	Those who do not remember the UNIX Wars are doomed to
> 	repeat them in their operatings systems, in their shells,
> 	in their install tools, and in their system libraries;
> 	may their names live on forever -- as things with which
> 	to frighten children.
> 						-- Terry Lambert

Which combining the two into a very old one I first heard in the
70's:

	We the willing, lead by the ungreatful, have been doing
so much with so little we are now qualified to do absolutely anything
with nothing at all.

						-- Rick Grimes

Ie, if you take the limit of the small tool designed to do one job
on one thing to the limit you end up ... well... it says it best.

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX @ CN85sl - (RWG25)               rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net