Date:      Sat, 12 Aug 2006 16:41:43 +0100 (BST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Nikolas Britton <nikolas.britton@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-performance@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VFS sysctl tuning

On Sat, 12 Aug 2006, Nikolas Britton wrote:

> After reading man tuning it said to change vfs.hirunningspace to a larger
> value. What should I set it to?
>
> My RAID controller, an Areca ARC-1220, has a 256MB cache and each disk has
> 16MB of cache.
>
> What other vfs.* sysctls can I change?

The default settings are "reasonable" for many common workloads.  Further
tuning generally should be done in the context of a specific workload, since
tuning generally means trading off one type of performance or functionality
for another.  Only by knowing the workload can we talk about how to trade off
what you need, and what you don't.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge