Date:      Mon, 19 Jan 1998 13:36:32 -0800
From:      Chuck Grimes <cgrimes@nature.berkeley.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   PPP problem

I've got a PPP problem (FreeBSD 2.2.2). I can start the PPP utility and
then end up with a dead blank. After about two minutes, the connection is
broken by the ISP (their timeout 180). If I switch to my Win95 drive and
login to the ISP, everything works fine.

In the ppp.conf, I followed the tutorial example substituting my login name
and password in the right places--so that part of the script works. After a
short time first I get "Dial Ok!", and then after the script is just about
finished I get, "Login Ok!" After that, the ISP will not accept the typed
in commands: ftp, telnet, or http. I get "what ?" as an answer. I also
tried telnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xx with specific numerical entries.

I called the tech support at earthlink (the isp) and they mumbled something
about configuring the "resolv.conf" file in /etc/resolv.conf -- thinking
that FBSD was linex. These are the entries they suggested:

nameserver 206.85.92.2
nameserver 206.85.92.60
nameserver 206.85.92.79

However. When, with PPP running I type, 'show xxx' (I forget the particular
command) I get:

myaddr: 38.28.29.229
hisaddr: 38.1.1.1
Oslink: 38.1.1.1

So. Negotiating my address and the ISP addresses seems to work. I also did
"show syslog" and found the authentication was okay.  But I need to somehow
send the ISP a name resolve server address so I can telnet, ftp, and http
to work. Somehow, the dial up program in Win95 manages this. How to I do
the same thing in FBSD?

Chuck Grimes,

a unix newbie