Date:      Tue, 1 Feb 2000 12:42:07 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
Cc:        Dan Langille <dan@freebsddiary.org>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: skip requires X?

On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, Will Andrews wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 01, 2000 at 09:36:24PM +1300, Dan Langille wrote:
> > Please tell me I'm wrong.  Does skip really need X windows in order to
> > build?  Is that really necessary?  What about us poor sods that
> > don't/can't run X?  What's the best course of action to get skip
> > installed?
> >
> > This is annoyingly similar to the webalizer issue (ports/16354).  Are
> > more and more ports [maintainers] assuming X?  I don't think I
> > understand the issue[s] enough to comment.
>
> The problem is that some programs that produce graphical output require
> (sometimes very little) support from libX11, libXext, and others that are
> normally installed through X. SKIP depends on the xview library, which
> depends on XMKMF, which implies that it needs X11 libraries.
>
> The fact is that none of them require a full install of X. They just
> require the supporting libraries. I believe Satoshi is working with some
> others on a solution for this problem.
>
> It is quite annoyingly similar to gd, webalizer, etc..

What about gd?  It's a graphics library, which is totally justified in
having a dependency on a graphics output device (X).

Chuck Robey            | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr@picnic.mat.net  | electronics, communications, and signal processing.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary.