Date:      Mon, 9 Jan 2012 14:36:31 -0500
From:      Alejandro Imass <ait@p2ee.org>
To:        Devin Teske <devin.teske@fisglobal.com>
Cc:        alexus <alexus@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports vs packages

On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 1:19 PM, Devin Teske <devin.teske@fisglobal.com> wrote:
> [...]

[...]

> Of course, this is explicit to rather serious production environments. Desktop and casual usage ... ports may serve you better if you like to stay up-to-date rather than only upgrading once every 1-2 years.

We think the opposite. Serious production environments should use
specifically compiled ports for your needs and create packages from
those. In fact we combine this approach with the use of EzJail and
flavours. So I guess it all depends on the needs and what a serious
production environment means for each company or individual.

--
Alejandro Imass