Date:      Sat, 26 Jun 2004 15:03:15 +0200
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        Lukas Ertl <le@freebsd.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: geom_vinum problems (crashes and lockups)

--mSxgbZZZvrAyzONB

On Sat, Jun 26, 2004 at 02:07:03PM +0200, Lukas Ertl wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, Daryl Chance wrote:
> > for /dev/ad4s1:
> > mp3# bsdlabel /dev/ad4s1
> > # /dev/ad4s1:
> > 8 partitions:
> > #        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
> >  c: 60074784        0    unused        0     0
> >  d: 60074784        0    4.2BSD     2048 16384 28512
>=20
> This is a situation that I currently consider 'unsupported'.  The problem=
=20
> is that the 'd' partition has no offset, thus it is (from the point of=20
> view of a geom_vinum drive geom) the same as the 'c' partition.  This is=
=20
> the first problem.

[snip]

> I'm not sure if I find a proper hack for this, so, for now, this is an=20
> unsupported configuration.  This means that the partition where you want=
=20
> to put a vinum drive on _must not_ start at the beginning of a drive and=
=20
> has to have an offset, i.e. 16 sectors, as a standard label from 'bsdlabe=
l=20
> -w' has.

Hum, is/was this documented somewhere? I just set up two RAID-5's on
-STABLE, and I have done this every time I did a RAID setup with vinum.
I'd hate it if I'd have to migrate 300GB of data because I didn't reserve
16 sectors at the start of a disk :(

--Stijn

--=20
If today is the first day of the rest of your life, what the hell was
yesterday?

--mSxgbZZZvrAyzONB

--mSxgbZZZvrAyzONB--