Date:      Tue, 12 Oct 1999 08:59:57 -0700
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@hub.freebsd.org>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: People getting automatically unsub'ed from -arch

"Rodney W. Grimes" wrote:

> > > "Accidental" removals from the lists are so common that I give up.  I no
> > > longer even try to get back on them -- it's been happening for _years_ now,
> > > and I have made multiple complaints about it, and if it's not a problem for
> > > whoever runs the mailing lists, then I just don't care that much.
> >
> >       only one comment.   i remove people from the lists whenever
> > their email bounces.  the threshhold is approximately 30 messages in a
> > 24 hour period.   mail may bounce due to DNS problems, mail box full,
> > MTA misconfiguration.  i also remove people that send vacation
> > messages to the list.  oh, and spammers.
>
> Perhaps these threshholds could use some minor adjustments, or perhaps
> my interpretation of the above policy is not quite what really happens.

	Having been in a situation similar to Jonathan's (managing a large
site, many lists, thousands of users) I can only say that it's hard to
appreciate the difficulty of the task without experiencing it. I think
he does a fine job, extending people more patience than I used to. :)

Doug
--
"Stop it, I'm gettin' misty."

    - Mel Gibson as Porter, "Payback"