Date:      Wed, 31 May 2000 15:12:34 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Guy Helmer <ghelmer@cs.iastate.edu>
To:        "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PR #10971, not dead yet.

On Wed, 31 May 2000, David E. Cross wrote:

> >    If you can reproduce the problem regularly then I recommend putting
> >    a signal guard in to see if the corruption is being caused by the
> >    signal interrupting at an inausipcious moment.
> >
> >    In main() block SIGHUP, SIGINT, SIGTERM, and SIGCHLD using sigsetmask().
> >
> >    Just prior to the select call unblock the signals.
> >
> >    Just after the select call reblock the signals.
> >
> >    And see if the corruption still occurs.  If this fixes the problem,
> >    then there is probably something in the reaper() (in yp_main.c)
> >    that is causing corruption, probably by ripping a structure out from
> >    under whatever piece of code the signal happens to interrupt.
> >
> >    I took a quick look at the code and as far as I can tell it implements
> >    no guards whatsoever.  The inetd code had similar problems in the past.
>
> Alas, this is not something I have been able to reliably reproduce, it seems
> to trigger itself every so-often (and at inconvienient times).  But no
> matter what I do by myself it will not trip.

Is it possibly related to a low-memory situation?  I'm trying to solve a
problem in cron that sounds similar, and seems to be triggered when the
machine goes into swapping.  I'm unable to duplicate it myself :-(

Guy

Guy Helmer, Ph.D. Candidate, Iowa State University Dept. of Computer Science
Research Assistant, Dept. of Computer Science   ---   ghelmer@cs.iastate.edu
http://www.cs.iastate.edu/~ghelmer