Date:      Thu, 12 Dec 1996 11:06:10 +0100 (MET)
From:      torstenb@solar.tlk.com (Torsten Blum)
To:        jfieber@indiana.edu (John Fieber)
Cc:        asami@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org, www@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/2190: need cross-reference to xpdf from X11 ports tree

John Fieber wrote:

> Back in the good old days when the ports collection was small,
> finding things in a primative organizational scheme was easy.
> Now that the collection is growing by leaps and bounds, the
> interface to the collection itself becomes more critical.

agreed

> Activities range from simply finding new ports, to knowing what
> versions of what ports you have installed, being alerted when
> those particular ones have been updated (including update
> summaries), semi-automated retrieval and installation ("Click
> here to install") and the like.

I think we really need a notification service for the ports area,
but...

> I'm no cvs wizard, but it should be possible to plant a hook in
> cvs to manage the updates in real-time as commits are made.  A
> script would only need to know the name of the single affected
> port and it could then collect whatever information is needed for
> a rich, rapid access secondary database.  This strikes me as
> being phenomenally more efficient than re-scanning the entire cvs
> port collection and rebuilding the INDEX file from scratch every
> time.

These notification messages should be limited to changes affecting the
installation. No Notification should ne send if the vars in the
port Makefile are reorg. or the master site has changed (just examples).
For most people this is just "noise" - they don't care about it...

This makes the real-time update of a "ports database" during cvs commits
more difficult.

 -tb