Date:      Thu, 04 Feb 1999 12:33:45 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <axl@iafrica.com>
To:        Chris Larsen <vader@vader.dk>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Enabling bpf device in kernel (was: Re: tcpdump)

On Thu, 04 Feb 1999 10:07:34 +0100, Chris Larsen wrote:

> As for security.=20
> Yes its bad that bpf is enabled on a vanilla install, not
> all *bsd users are ethical about their use of promiscious mode NIC.

Sorry, I _still_ don't think I understand why bpf is "bad for security".

The only thing I can think of is that "bpf is bad for security when root
is hacked on the box". I'm wrong if promiscuous mode is available to
non-root users.

Looking at the arguments put forward on this issue so far, I'd suggest
that the following is reasonable:

1)	It's unlikely that root on a brand new box is going to be cracked
	into within the first few minutes of its life. If it is, you have
	a very unpleasant "leak" in your admin team.

2)	Even if the box is _not_ bpf-enabled, a root break-in will
	change all that with a single reboot. It's easy to guess a time
        at which such a reboot is likely to go unnoticed for a while.

If you're happy with that, then this whole issue becomes really
simple. It all boils down to a choice:

1) Do we try to protect lame admins from horrible things that may happen
   later on if root is hacked on the box by taking bpf out of the
   GENERIC kernel?

2) Do we accept that the kind of lame admin who doesn't understand the
   risks involved in using a bpf-enabled kernel is unlikely to notice
   the reboot that enables bpf after some unfortunate sniffing, and
   therefore the damage we wanted to protect him from in the first
   place, has been done?

I think that we'll find this issue easy to resolve by focusing on those
two questions. Specifically, I think the focus should be on _who_ we are
trying to serve best, the cluefull or the lame.

It's my opinion that what we gain by shipping a bpf-less kernel does not
measure up to the loss of functionality imposed. Remember, we only gain
for lame admins.

I hope I've made a useful contribution to this thread, since I'd really
like for a final decision to come out of it, one way or another.

Ciao,
Sheldon.