Date:      Fri, 14 Aug 2015 23:16:41 +0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>
To:        James Lott <james@lottspot.com>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ethernet tunneling options under FreeBSD

On 8/14/15 6:40 AM, James Lott wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I am in the process of planning a build out of a L2 VPN, in which
> I'd like to have my primary "switch" and DHCP server be a FreeBSD
> system. I would like to join each new host to the VPN by
> establishing an IP tunnel with the primary "switch" which transports
> ethernet frames over the tunnel.

you haven't really described the network well enough..
try an ascii-art diagram (don't forget to set fixed width font :-)
a VPN required two ends.. one is FreeBSD... what's the other?

> So far, the only protocol I have found supported by FreeBSD which
> seems capable of this is EtherIP. As far as I can tell, it doesn't
> look like there is any support for L2TPv3, and none of the PPP
> implementations available appear to support BCP.
>
> I'm not completely opposed to using EtherIP, but if there is
> something more modern which will meet my needs, I would probably try
> that first. So my question becomes:
>
> * Does anyone know of a method supported under FreeBSD (other than
> EtherIP) for tunneling ethernet over IP that they may be able to
> suggest I check out?
if both ends are FreeBSD there are dozens of possibilities..
for example:
ng_eif->netgraph->ppp->ipsec->ppp->netgraph->ng_eif

ng_eif->ng_ksock(udp)->IPsec->ng_ksock->ng_eif

tap->ppp->ppp->tap