Date:      Wed, 13 Feb 2013 08:44:44 +0100
From:      Christian Gusenbauer <c47g@gmx.at>
To:        CeDeROM <cederom@tlen.pl>
Cc:        Bernhard =?iso-8859-1?q?Fr=F6hlich?= <decke@freebsd.org>, freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 9.1 AMD64 multitasking efficiency low

On Tuesday 12 February 2013 14:24:24 CeDeROM wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 2:17 PM, CeDeROM <cederom@tlen.pl> wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 2:04 PM, Christian Gusenbauer <c47g@gmx.at> wrote:
> >> Maybe it's hardware related? I experience the same slowness as you do as
> >> soon as I copy more than a few MB of data *on the same drive*. (...)
> >
> > Hello Christian :-) Thank you for your feedback! :-) There was no
> > problem today to copy from internal ufs2 to external ufs2, but I have
> > tried to copy back from external (ufs2) to internal (ufs2) and guess
> > what - I got the terrible slowdown!!! Just when I hit Ctrl+C things
> > get back to normal right away.. so the problem is with writing to the
> > WDC SATA drive...
>
> I also noticed that issue on a far more powerful machine and the WDC
> 2TB drive. At first I thought the drive was broken, then I switched
> from ext2 to ufs2 that improved efficiency to an acceptable level, but
> still it does not look as it should, maybe something wrong with the
> SATA(2) driver or the WDC drives :-) Glad to hear I am not alone,
> thanks!! :-)

Hi Tomek!

Yeah, we're not alone anymore :-)!

My external device is connected to a JMicron JMB363 AHCI SATA controller
whereas my internal drive is connected to an Intel ICH8 AHCI SATA controller.
As soon as I have some time I'll connect my new external drive to the Intel
controller and have a look if that works or not. Maybe it's the combination
Intel SATA controller and WDC drives?

Ciao,
Christian.