Date:      Tue, 23 Feb 1999 05:30:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Juergen Peter <bluen@ee.uni-sb.de>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/9949 (SKIP LKM not working in 3.1 also)

The following reply was made to PR ports/9949; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Juergen Peter <bluen@ee.uni-sb.de>
To: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org, mike@sentex.net
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 14:13:11 +0100

 The error message when trying to load SKIP at startup
 (using /usr/local/etc/rc.d/skip.sh) is somewhat misleading..

 When trying to modload(1) the lkm by hand, you get a much
 more diagnostic message:

 	ld: /kernel: malformed input file (not rel or archive)
 	modload: /usr/bin/ld: return code 1

 Well, when using modload -d you can see that
 modload tries to execute something like
 	/usr/bin/ld -A /kernel -e _skip -o /tmp/skip.out \
 			-T 0 /usr/local/lkm/skip.o
 which when executed by hand gives the same error.

 After digging in the source for modload(1), I found that
 modload *really* executes /usr/bin/ld -aout <rest of the above>
 ... ... but the kernel is elf and even skip.o is elf...

 I tried loading the module with

 	/usr/bin/ld -elf -A /kernel -e _skip -o /tmp/skip.out  /usr/local/lkm/skip.o
 but that gives a lot of undefined references, so I gave up...

 --
 Juergen Kleer                     | #include <disclaimer/std.h>
 Lehrstuhl fuer Mikroelektronik    | #include <disclaimer/employer.h>