Date:      Sat, 19 Jan 2002 13:50:47 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
Cc:        Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.ORG>, qa@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RELENG_4_5 Branch : January 21 ?

Wilko Bulte wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 19, 2002 at 03:11:45AM -0800, Murray Stokely wrote:
>
>>On Sat, Jan 19, 2002 at 08:40:07AM +0100, Wilko Bulte wrote:
>>
>>>Given that I still haven't been able to create a working RC2 for Alpha
>>>I would consider this a bit ambitious. And how are things like Alpha
>>>X11 and ports doing?
>>>
>>  I haven't taken a look at where jhb left off with X11, but I hope to
>>this weekend.  I have sent Peter at least 5 emails about the Alpha
>>ports cluster in the past 2 weeks, but the machines are still not
>>available.  Mind you, that several of my emails included an offer to
>>personally drive down to Yahoo! and do whatever grunt work is
>>necessary to setup the machines.
>>

> Maybe ps can help? He works for Y! too IIRC.
>

>>  I put a new 7200RPM disk into my PWS500 and got my make world time
>>down to just over 3 hours.  As an exercise in patience I've just
>>started a "make release" to see how long the build will take.  Is disk
>>

> IIRC it something like 6 hours or so on my DS10
>

>>I/O this slow on all FreeBSD/Alpha machines, or is it just mine?
>>bonnie++ results are pathetic compared to any x86 box on my network.
>>

> IDE or SCSI disk? I have not tested/compared IOspeed to be honest.

I was testing some ATA-66/100 systems and I hit a limit doing
buildworlds. The build speed became much faster when I used 2 or more
HDs. It was really important to get /usr/src and /usr/obj and
different HDs. I was dropping buildworld times on a dual 866
coppermines from something like 40 minutes to 26 minutes by doing
this. I ended up thinking about U2W but decided not to spend the
money. The 3 ATA-100 drives cost what a single 30GB lvd scsi cost.

I log all of my builds and eventually ended up with the log and system
on one drive and /usr/src and /usr/obj on the other two. I figured
splitting things up would also benefit a scsi system because it would
take advantage of more of the bandwidth from the controller to the HDs.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA