Date:      Sat, 3 Mar 2001 11:15:45 -0800 (PST)
From:      Larry Berland <stuyman@confusion.net>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>, Doug Young <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Promiscuous Mode ??

On Fri, 2 Mar 2001, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> >[mailto:owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG]On Behalf Of John Baldwin
> >On 01-Mar-01 Doug Young wrote:
> >> Would someone please comment on the following.  The machine is
> >> running fine so I don't believe its anything particularly bad, but I
> >> don't recall seeing that particular message previously.
> >
> >Do you use DHCP?  Every time you get or renew a lease dhclient puts the
> >interface in promiscuous mode.
>
> No, it doesen't - DHCP is just another service, it requests via broadcast
> packets and listens for a unicast packet response on a specified port.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you request a lease after you've first
come up (aka no IP) you put out in broadcast, and then the dhcp server
will reply to you via broadcast as well.  However, since the client
doesn't necessarily know the broadcast (as they don't know their address
or the network address) they'd be using 255.255.255.255 or 0.0.0.0 until
they did, which would mean the dhcp server is binding to those addresses,
instead of just its normal IP and the broadcast IP for the network.  Or
maybe i'm just insane.  Basically, the point of this insane rant (I've
been awake far too long) is that the dhcp reply initially must be
broadcast, since the client has no clue what to listen to otherwise.  But
since the client doesn't even know the broadcast address, does that mean
it gets its reply on 0.0.0.0 or 255.255.255.255, or does it just go
promisc to get the reply on the normal broadcast address?

Lacking in sleep,
Laurence Berland
http://www.isp.northwestern.edu/~laurence

PS  Did the chapter from TFCNG in DN get cut off?