Date:      Fri, 16 Nov 2001 09:54:51 +0200
From:      "Patrick O'Reilly" <patrick@mip.co.za>
To:        "Ovanes Manucharyan" <ovanes_m@yahoo.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Athlon CPU health..

> From:  Ovanes Manucharyan
>
> Hi,
>
> This computer's previous CPU was experiencing similar problems. During
> large compilations, it would just halt, and it kept getting worse
> with time. I've added another fan to my chassis and it really isn't
> overloaded with extra hardware, so I'm not sure what else to do to
> make my CPU run cooler.

I've experienced problems with an AMD Duron processor overheating.  Of
course that was on my Windoze PC, so for a long time I was blaming Bill for
the hang-ups - oops, sorry Bill - not your fault this time :)

> I'm also looking for suggestions on what else I can do to debug this:
>         a) verify if its really the CPU overheating
>         if not, then what's causing the cpu to halt?
>         b) how to solve this problem.

My vendor fitted a huge big heat sink with a fan right on the cpu, and I
have not had a moment's trouble since.

Patrick.