Date:      Thu, 05 Jul 2001 19:47:33 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        "Pedro F. Giffuni" <pfg1+@pitt.edu>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD spokesman.

At 07:30 PM 7/5/2001, Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:

>Because you don't respect the community your are pretending to
>represent.

Not true at all. HE was being disrespectful to both me and
the community by belittling those who were participating in
the conversation and hurling gratuitous insults. Responding
to him in an appropriate manner was not disrespectful.

Incidentally, I respect the community a great deal. If I did
not, I would not be here. Nor would I be working to get this
community the recognition it deserves.

>You just had to be right, even if it meant disrespecting
>him. It was a terrible mistake; show us that you learned from it and
>don't post again in this list for a month!

I don't think that a spokesperson should allow someone who is
being rude and derisive -- something that spokespeople
frequently encounter! -- to silence him or her. To do so would
render that spokesperson utterly ineffective. A spokesperson
should be able to deal with hecklers. It's a good test of
his or her patience and tenacity.

>It was not a matter of fairness, but a good spokesman shouldn't expect
>fairness, simply because life is not fair.

Life is, indeed, not fair. But people should be.

--Brett