Date:      Fri, 13 Aug 1999 11:06:09 -0500
From:      lambert@cswnet.com
To:        FreeBSD-ISP@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   pwd_mkdb and system processes

I've been trying to track down a problem on my e-mail server where it
stops processing smtp and pop processes for 5 minutes at a time.

# wc -l /etc/passwd
    14945 /etc/passwd

We rebuild this file once per hour to add or remove customers.

I finally caught it with a top session running at the time.

Inetd was accepting new connections and starting popper but people  can't
authenticate.
Sendmail accepts new connections but they stall until pwd_mkdb goes away.
 When I try to run a command from the command line, it doesn't execute
until pwd_mkdb gets done.
The CPU is 97% idle during this time.

Does all file access in the system stop while pwd_mkdb runs?

3.2-STABLE June 30ish.  SMP

--
Scott Lambert
lambert@cswnet.com