Date:      Tue, 18 Dec 2012 06:35:30 -0800
From:      Luke Bakken <luke@bowbak.org>
To:        Devin Teske <dteske@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as VMWare guest / disk resizing

> You'll of course need to boot from another medium to do this.

That's my main question - can a larger disk be detected *without* a
reboot. On FreeBSD instances running within VMWare I have been able to
add new disks without a reboot but, as I described below, have not
found a way to get the operating system to detect a larger *existing*
disk without a reboot. VMWare allows you to resize a disk on the fly.
Obviously I'm only interested in the "grow the disk" scenario :-)

I'm beginning to think a reboot is necessary, which is surprising!