Date:      Fri, 11 Dec 2015 21:44:13 -0500
From:      "Michael B. Eichorn" <ike@michaeleichorn.com>
To:        marcel <marcel.plouf@gmail.com>, Dirk Engling <erdgeist@erdgeist.org>,  freebsd-jail@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Configuring network without ezjail

On Sat, 2015-12-12 at 02:08 +0000, marcel wrote:
> ... and I think I have enabling gateway, I wrote thins in both of my
> rc.conf (jail and host):
>
> gateway_enable="YES"
>
> Is it correct ?

You only need gateway_enable if you are doing routing, it is not
necessary for a typical jail setup. Most of the time you are just
adding an alias to the host's nic.

> But I don't think I have DNS problems, my host correctly access to
> the
> internet and the resolv.conf of my jail and my host are same...
>
> On 12/12/2015 01:50, marcel wrote:
> > No I don't get to have an IP address... Yet I have writed this in
> > my
> > host's rc.conf:
> >
> > jail_enable="YES"
> > jail_list="thename"
> > jail_guantanamo_rootdir="thepath"
> > jail_guantanamo_hostname="thename"
> > jail_guantanamo_ip="192.168.0.12"
> >
> > and I use the command:
> >
> > jail thepath thename 192.168.0.12 /bin/csh
> >
> > to connect to my jail...

> > > Sure, why doesn't it connect to the net? Does it have a RFC1918
> > > IP? If
> > > so, you need to enable NAT. If not, did you enable gatewaying?
> > > Maybe you
> > > just have DNS problems, so is your resolv.conf set up properly?
> > >
> > > Without knowing what exactly is not working, I can not help you.
> > >
> > >   erdgeist

I think you found some old instructions, assuming a 10.x system here is
the boilerplate for a typical jail:

rc.conf:

  jail_enable="YES"

jail.conf:

  interface = re0;
  mount.devfs;
  exec.start = "/bin/sh /etc/rc";
  exec.stop = "/bin/sh /etc/rc.shutdown";

  thenameofthejail {
        host.hostname = host.domain.tld;
	path = /the/path/to/the/jail
        ip4.addr = 192.168.0.12;
  }

and start it up with

# jail -c thenameofthejail

And another handy tip you can avoid building a jail with make by
extacting the base.txz file found in places like the install media into
the jail directory.