Date:      Sun, 28 Jun 2009 17:51:50 +0400
From:      Aisaka Taiga <spambox@haruhiism.net>
To:        Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@withagen.nl>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 7.2-stable upgrade changes disknames

Willem Jan Withagen wrote:
> Tried UPGRADING, but could not find any suggestions that this was to
> be expected. Could also not find any previous suggestions for this.
> After which I got complaints that ad0s1a no longer existed.
> Al of a sudden it was called ad0a...
> In essence not a serious problem if one is a little fluent in FreeBSD,
> but could prove a source of a lot of questions, once 8.0 is released.
This isn't related to -current changes.
The naming scheme of ad0s1a refers to a classic DOS partition table with
a FreeBSD slice as DOS partition 0, and the FreeBSD root partition as
the first (a) partition inside the slice.
ad0a device name stands for a dangerously dedicated disk with no
partition table whatsoever; i.e. it's like doing not "fdisk /dev/ad0 ;
bsdlabel {params} /dev/ad0s1", but going "bsdlabel /dev/ad0" without
creating a DOS-style partition table.

In your case it might mean some data corruption within the partition table.
What does fdisk /dev/ad0 report?

--
Kamigishi Rei
KREI-RIPE