Date:      Thu, 18 Nov 1999 12:25:53 +0100
From:      Sascha Blank <blank@uni-trier.de>
To:        "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anticipated release date for 3.4

Hello,

On Wed, Nov 17, 1999 at 02:54:05PM -0600, Jeffrey J. Mountin wrote:
> At 10:21 AM 11/17/99 -0800, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> >Will be December 15th.  The traditional code slush will go into effect
> >on the 1st.  November would be an excellent month for merging your
> >changes, after which I'll be exercising my usual perogative of
> >inspecting all potential changes with a more jaundiced eye. :)
>
> What happened to every 4 months?

I wonder too.  Is it really such a good idea to shorten the release
cycle even more so that we will have four releases a year now?  I don't
think so.

Like many other users I contribute my 0.02DM to the FreeBSD project by
having a FreeBSD CD subscription.  One reason why I do so is the fact
that with at most three CD releases a year the total amount of money
spent stays within a range that I am willing and able to pay.  But with
one additional release a year I really start to wonder whether I want
and can do so any longer; I'm afraid that many other users think so too.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not saying that FreeBSD would not be worth the
cost of four releases a year, but for many of us having a subscription
in order to financially contribute to the project is also a matter of
money.

Therefore I think we should stay with the four month release cycle.
Just my 0.02DM.

--
             Sascha Blank            | FreeBSD -
   Student and System Administrator  |     that's where you want to go today!